June 01, 2014

Rex Foulkes Half Marathon


From "A Life on The Run by Jack Pennington  OAM.

In 1969, my good mate from England, a National class marathon runner and a founder member of the ACT Cross Country Club, slapped me on the back as he left an athletic meeting in Canberra saying, "See you next week matey". 

He was a former paratrooper and took great pride in his fitness.

He had not only run marathons in England, but in every state in Australia. He was the ideal amateur.

But sad to record that within an hour of leaving me, there was a radio report that a man had been killed on a one lane bridge between Canberra and Cooma.  I therefore phoned the police for further information and unfortunately my intuition was proved correct.
I have seldom felt such sadness.  His body was shipped to England and for many years I corresponded with his mother.

There is now a "Rex Foulkes" Memorial Half Marathon in the UK and in Canberra.

Footnote

This years half  marathon was recently conducted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home