January 13, 2009

Doctor a master of the long run

Doctor a master of the long run

BY HELEN GREGORY

JAMES Harrison has kept a record of every mile he has run since he was 15.
Now at 45, he has run 98,000 miles and hopes to add to his tally at this year's World Masters Games athletics competition.
The doctor, who is opening a new medical practice in Kellyville Ridge, has been running since childhood and is showing no signs of slowing down.
``My target is 100,000 miles. I started in Little Athletics and never stopped,'' Harrison said.
``Being fit is always nice, especially if I can stay in front of the young blokes if they come up.'' The Winston Hills resident has been a member of the Bankstown Sports Club for 19 years and has an impressive track record.
He has represented Australia in the World Cross Country championships five times, come first in the 10 kilometre event at the Australian championships four times and has participated in many state championships and marathons.
``It's a nice feeling to win but it does happen a bit less these days,'' Harrison said.
``I've won 294 fun runs and my goal is 300.''
Now he's set his sights on setting records in the 800 metre, 1500 metre and five kilometre events as well as the cross country and road races in the World Masters Games, to be held in October.
Harrison has been training twice a day and runs an average of 120-130 kilometres a week, often with his wife.
``I set myself pretty high standards,'' he said.
``But I'm up against old rivals that are my age and it spurs you on to keep going.''
Harrison said he has no plans to stop running, despite experiencing injuries and achilles strains.
``Nothing will stop me from what I want to do,'' Harrison said.
``It's another challenge.''

Source:- http://castlehill.yourguide.com.au/news/local/sport/general/doctor-a-master-of-the-long-run/1405662.aspx



1 Comments:

Blogger Ewen said...

And I bet his knees are perfect. Good story.

I hope you managed to stay cool at the 'stakes today.

4:44 pm, January 14, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home